The nagaimo, or long yam, is a rather unique ingredient and that is because it’s one of the few tubers that can be eaten raw. In fact, when used raw, the yam gives off this really slimy texture, called mucilage, and that’s why nagaimo is such a popular ingredient! It’s because this slime, which the Japanese call it tororo, has such a mild flavor that you can really shape its flavor profile in any way you want. Not peaked your interest yet? We promise it is worth the try. Besides, how do you say no to noodles? And in the summer, cold noodle dishes are really refreshing especially, so this tororo soba recipe is a perfect dish to make to keep you cool. Learn more about the fascinating nagaimo here.
Carlienne’s Tororo Soba
- Box Grater
- Glove (optional as nagaimo may cause some itching)
- Fresh Nagaimo
- 1 Bundle of Soba Noodle
- 1 Egg Yolk*
- 1/4 cup Soba Tsuyu Dipping Sauce (amount is preference)
- Green onions and seaweed for garnish
*We prefer to use pasteurized egg yolks, but consume raw eggs at your own will!
- Peel about 1 inch of skin off the nagaimo and grate on the smallest hole of your box grater straight into a bowl or container.
- Heat a pot of water to boil and cook your soba noodles according to package instructions.
- Cool soba noodles immediately with cold water and some ice then keep cool.
- Assemble your dish by placing soba noodles in your bowl or plate, pour tororo on top, place yolk on top of tororo, pour tsuyu dipping sauce, and garnish with seaweed and green onions.
- Enjoy your refreshing tororo soba noodle meal!
- Pro Tip: This dish does not sit well, so enjoy immediately!
Try it with:
You can put tororo on rice which is called tororo gohan, or as a topping on any dish! Tororo is also used as a fluff-er filling for okonomiyaki.
Tools Used To Make This Dish*
You can support our creations at no additional cost to you by using our affiliate links below. Much love!
- Cutting Board: Boos Block Edge Grain
- Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop
- Cuisinart Stainless Steel Pans
Camera Gear List*
- Sony A7III
- Sony A7rIII
- Sony SEL2470GM Lens
- Sony SEL90M28G FE 90mm f/2.8-22
- Deity V-Mic D3
- Audio-Technica AT4040 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
- Blue Compass Premium Tube-Style Broadcast Boom Arm
- Sirui ET Series Tripod
- White Balance Card
*I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.