Materials for Tomato Egg Scramble:
- Non Stick Pan
- High Heat Spatula
- Mixing Bowl
- Whisk or Fork
- Cutting Board
- (Brown) Sugar
*Pro Tip: The ratio for the ingredients isn’t very important but knowing that tomatoes and eggs are the star you know that you’ll need more of those than the others. We use the ketchup and sugar for flavoring the tomatoes while caramelizing them to give them a bit of sweetness. Remember it’s much easier/safer to start with less and add if you need versus trying to subtract… since you can’t do that. We used 3 eggs and 1 whole tomato for this.
Green Onions or choice of protein
Goal for Tomato Egg Scramble:
Texture: Creamy and fluffy.
Color: Slight caramelization on the tomatoes.
Flavor: Sweet from the caramelized tomatoes and creamy from the eggs.
Guide for Tomato Egg Scramble:
- Heat pan to high and add oil or butter.
- Add tomatoes and sauté until you get a little brown color on them (caramelization).
- Add a squirt of your ketchup and small sprinkle of your brown sugar and stir.Your looking to make kind of a loose wet paste (not watery) when it’s all combined.
- Pro Tip: If your mixture is too sweet you can add a splash of rice vinegar or any white vinegar to mellow it out. If the mixture is too salty you can add more brown sugar or a little water and reduce it until it is thick.
- Whisk your eggs and set aside.
- Place tomato mixture in a bowl and let rest, add oil or butter to your pan at a medium heat.
- Scramble eggs, when they are about 75% done add your tomatoes back in and combine.
- Plate and enjoy.
Try These Eggs With:
- Over a rice dish or any starch base.