Materials for 3 Colored Steamed Eggs:
- Steamer or steamer stand and large pot that fits dish*
- Deep steam-able dish, about 7-8 inches in diameter and at least 2 inches deep
*It’s also super helpful to have a claw to handle the steaming dish. Make sure your pot gives you enough space to maneuver your dish in and out.
- 2 century eggs or preserved egg
- 2 salted egg yolk
- 1 salted egg white (we find that 2 whites is too salty)
- 2 regular eggs
- About 14oz of chicken stock
Goal for 3 Colored Steamed Eggs:
Texture: Smooth and silky like soft tofu.
Color: Pale yellow.
Guide for 3 Colored Steamed Eggs:
- Heat your steamer. If using a pot, bring it to boil.
- Mix and cut up eggs in your steam pan. Pour chicken stock to fill the pan at least an inch and a half deep. Mix everything together.
- Turn heat to low, then place egg pan in steamer. Steam for about 20 minutes, depending on the size of your pan and thickness of egg mix.
- Pro Tip: If your heat is too high or if water drops or splashes on the eggs as you lift the lid, then it will create bubbles or craters instead of a smooth surface. If you cook it too long, the eggs will get firmer and not as silky.