Materials for Jay Fai Crab Omelette:
- Wide rimmed pot for frying
- 2 spatulas
- 1 medium bowl
- 1 small bowl
- 3 + 2 eggs
- About 2 tablespoons/ or heavy sprinkle of cornstarch
- Shelled crab
- Salt and pepper
- Oil for frying
Goal for Jay Fai Crab Omelette:
Texture: Crunchy on the outside and firm on the inside full of crab.
Color: Golden brown.
Guide for Jay Fai Crab Omelette:
- Heat oil between 350F to 375F in pot for frying.
- Crack 3 eggs in medium size bowl and 2 eggs in small bowl. Whisk both. Set the 2 eggs bowl aside.
- In the bowl with 3 eggs, combine cornstarch and crab in the mix.
- When oil is ready, pour crab mix in oil. Try to place the crab in the center as much as possible.
- Let sit for 1-2 minutes then fold. Try to make a burrito shaped omelet with your 2 spatulas.
- Keep cooking and shaping the omelette. Squeeze all the sides to get it firm, roll the omelette as needed to brown all sides.
- Pro Tip: I used the sides of the pot a lot to help press the omelet firm.
- When it starts to get slightly brown, start using the 2 whisked eggs you set aside to pour egg on any of the holes (the seam at the fold, the ends as well)
- Pro Tip: Little is needed to pour in the holes, use the spatula to keep the runny egg in place so that it seals better.
- Keep cooking until golden brown, then place on paper towel to drain and excess oil.
- Plate and enjoy!
Try these eggs with
Pour your favorite gravy or sauce on top or use a sprinkle of fresh salsa.