Materials for Vietnamese Egg Coffee (ca phe trung or cà phê trứng):
- Phin Coffee filter
- Coffee cups
- Shallow to medium height wide container
- Hand mixer or stand mixer
- Egg yolks
- Strong dark coffee
- Condensed milk
Cinnamon or chocolate powder
Goal for Vietnamese Egg Coffee:
Texture: Creamy and thick.
Flavor: Coffee should be strong and egg mix should be rich and sweet.
Guide for Vietnamese Egg Coffee:
- Pour ground coffee in your Phin filter and with boiling water make your strong coffee.
- Place your egg yolks and 2-3 tablespoons of condensed milk into your mixing bowl. Mix ingredients together until loose peaks and thick consistency.
- While that is mixing, put your coffee cups in the shallow container and pour hot water in the container (not the cups) to keep the coffee warm, pour the coffee in your cups
- When egg mixture is done, spoon in or pour into your coffee. It should sit right at the top of your coffee, rather than sink.
- Sprinkle any cinnamon or chocolate powder on top and enjoy!