Materials for Hong Kong Style Egg Tarts:
- Bowl scraper
- Mixing bowl
- Mesh strainer
- Baking sheet
- Egg tart molds
For the dough:
- 230g sugar
- 560g flour
- 2 blocks soft butter
- 2 egg with splash of vanilla extract
- 12 eggs
- 2:1 ratio of hot water:sugar
* we used 2 cups to 1 cup
Goal for Hong Kong Style Egg Tarts:
Texture: Crumbly crust with a smooth creamy custard.
Color: Golden brown crust and bright yellow custard.
Guide for Hong Kong Style Egg Tarts:
- Preheat oven to 500F.
- Mix sugar and butter together thoroughly.
- Mix in egg with vanilla extract to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Then add flour and mix together to make a dough.
- Roll into a haf inch diameter log and cut 1 inch length pieces.
- Fit and press pieces into your tart molds and cool.
- Whisk together eggs and water/sugar mixture.
- Run the mixture through a mesh strainer, then pour into molds about 3/4 of the way.
- Place uncooked tarts on baking sheet and in the oven for 5 minutes then rotate until curst is nicely browned and custard is set.
- Serve and Enjoy!