Hawaiian at Home
Teri beef isn’t so popular in Hawaiian take out but its a staple in plate lunches like bbq combo plates or combo plates in general! Super easy to make teri beef and the marinade can be used for many things as well. Let’s dive into it so you can start making your combo plates at home!
- Mixing Bowls
- Wide Pan
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Warm Shoyu Sauce
- 1/4 cup Warm Water
- 3-4 Cloves Smashed Garlic
- 4-5 Peeled and Sliced Ginger
- 1-1.5 lb slices of your favorite type of beef, I used a carne asada steak that was on sale but flank or skirt steak works great as well.
- In a mixing bowl combine all the marinade ingredients which is everything except the beef.
- Mix the marinade with beef and let the magic happen over night or at least for 4 hours.
- Heat a pan or grill pan to medium high heat and add a little oil. You can also grill them!
- Pro Tip – Not too much oil as there will be an oil splash zone so be careful of the splatter.
- Sear beef on one side until it has a really nice caramelization going and almost looks like it was grilled on a bbq, then flip and sear other side.
- Beef cooks really fast and if you cut it thin you won’t need more than a minute on each side.
- Pro Tip – I just cook it until it gets a nice char on each side then set it aside to rest.
- Plate your scoops of rice and mac salad (Hawaiian Mac Salad guide here), shred your cabbage bed for your beef and plate it. Enjoy!
- You can also make your own popular BBQ Combo plate by cooking up some BBQ Chicken too (Hawaiian BBQ Chicken guide here)
Try it With:
- This marinade can be used for any meats.
- Make it spicy by adding your favorite hot sauce, we like using gochujang.
Tools Used To Make This Dish*
- Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop
- Cutting Board: Boos Block Edge Grain
- Cuisinart Stainless Steel Pans
*I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.