Once again, checking out our local market we found an ingredient neither of us is familiar with nor have we had it in any dish, the Chayote fruit! So, we bought some and wanted to get to know the ingredient through research and experimentation. Learn more about the chayote squash here.
Carlienne’s Chayote Cakes
- Knife & Cutting Board
- Medium sized pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Measurement Tools
- Fish spatula for flipping the cakes over
- Dish and Paper Towel to Soak Up Excess Oil
- 3 Cups Shredded Chayote
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Sprinkle of salt and white pepper
- 1 Cup AP Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- Salt & White Pepper to taste
- After shredding chayote, let it sit in a colander or strainer with a little salt for about 10 minutes to help dry it out. Press gently to release any excess liquid.
- Mix the carrots, chayote, cumin and a sprinkle of salt and pepper together.
- For the cake mix, combine the dry ingredients together first, then add the chayote and carrots and mix together to make a thick cake-like batter.
- Pro Tip: you want a ratio of 1/3 batter to 2/3 vegetables, so if you feel u need to get rid of some batter just put some aside or add more vegetables.
- Heat a pan to medium high heat and add a splash of oil.
- With a spoon just add a scoop to the hot pan and spread it out in a form of a pancake shape moving in some sort of order so you know which one was first.
- Cook on the first side until a nice golden brown color, then flip and cook on the second side until a nice color has formed and is crispy.
- Pro Tip: For a less cake-y texture you can keep the batter more runny and use more oil to deep fry it for chayote fritters instead.
- Remove from pan, place on paper towel to remove excess oil before plating.
- Plate and enjoy!
Try it with:
The chayote cakes are great with a yogurt sauce. Try using different vegetables in the mix or make it spicy or sweet!
Tools Used To Make This Dish*
You can support our creations at no additional cost to you by using our affiliate links below. Much love!
- Cutting Board: Boos Block Edge Grain
- Mixing Bowls
- Half Size Hotel Pan
- Cuisinart Stainless Steel Pans
Camera Gear List*
- Sony A7III
- Sony A7rIII
- Sony SEL2470GM Lens
- Sony SEL90M28G FE 90mm f/2.8-22
- Deity V-Mic D3
- Audio-Technica AT4040 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
- Blue Compass Premium Tube-Style Broadcast Boom Arm
- Sirui ET Series Tripod
- White Balance Card
*I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.