Salted Caramel is one of Carl’s favorite flavors to try when exploring a new ice creamery, so naturally we wanted to attempt to make this flavor ourselves. Using the Ph-rench style ice cream base, we get a deep delicious ice cream with a super heavenly soft texture! One of the reasons we love the Ph-rench of ice cream base is because it combines the decadence of a French custard (eggs) and the ease of execution of the Philadelphia style base (no tempering). Here is how we make our salted caramel ice cream.
Carlienne’s Salted Caramel Ice Cream
- 2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Whole Milk
- 300 g Granulated Sugar, divided
- 3 Tbs Water
- 2 Large Pasteurized Eggs
- 1/4 tsp flaky Sea or Kosher Salt*
- 1/8 tsp fine Sea or Kosher Salt*
*If you don’t have a variety of salts, you can just use one!
- In a sauce pan, combine water and 200g of the sugar on a medium heat and cook until it is amber or dark brown in color depending on how much of a deep flavor you like
- Pro Tip: Do not use a spoon or any utensil while making caramel or it will crystalize. Instead, swirl the pan around as the sugar melts to evenly cook the sugar. Always keep an eye on it as well so you do not burn the sugar!
- When desire color is reach take it off the heat and slowly, little by little add heavy cream and whole milk. Bring it back to the medium heat and cook until caramel is dissolved then take off heat
- Pro Tip: You can now use a utensil to help incorporate the ingredients together.
- Whisk together your pasteurized eggs, the remaining sugar, and kosher salt until pale yellow ( we use a blend for this).
- Slowly add the caramel milk mixture to the egg mixture while it is running, add it in a very slow stream so you do not cook the eggs.
- Once all have been incorporated, let it cool at least 4 hours or overnight before churning.
- Follow your churning machine’s directions, in the final 1 minute of churn add in your flaky salt.
- Store in a tight freezer safe container!
Tools Used To Make This Dish*
You can support our creations at no additional cost to you by using our affiliate links below. Much love!
- Duxtop Portable Induction Cooktop
- Cuisinart Stainless Steel Pans
- Ice Cream machine
- Mixing Bowls
- Fat Rubber Spatulas
- Skinny Rubber Spatulas
Camera Gear List*
- Sony A7III
- Sony A7rIII
- Sony SEL2470GM Lens
- Sony SEL90M28G FE 90mm f/2.8-22
- Deity V-Mic D3
- Audio-Technica AT4040 Cardioid Condenser Microphone
- Blue Compass Premium Tube-Style Broadcast Boom Arm
- Sirui ET Series Tripod
- White Balance Card
*I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.